With so many different varieties of kitchen available, it might be hard choosing one that’s right for you. Not only do you have to choose the right design style, but you also need to decide what colours you want, what work surface is right for you, as well as the finishing touches like handles and taps.
However, nothing is more important than getting the blueprint of your kitchen right. Making decisions can be overwhelming at first, so how do you choose which style is right for you? Below are some tips for choosing between a traditional, modern or contemporary style kitchen.
These are often known in the industry as shaker kitchens. They are defined by their effortless elegance and timeless warmth, and are beautifully detailed with their grained timbers and classic pastel colours.
- The main construction method in traditional kitchens is in-frame. This is where the door is set within a frame using butt hinges and solid wooden drawers.
- Most traditional kitchens have doors that are painted in soft pastel shades.
- The wood used in these kitchens is usually burr, knotty or pippy oak.
- Door panels often have details like raised and fielded panels.
- The most popular worktops for this style of kitchen are solid wood, granite or marble.
Traditional style kitchens are often perfect for older properties or country cottage style homes. These kitchens are often bespoke commissions. Some popular traditional kitchens include the Milbourne, Milton and Cornell style kitchens. These kitchens have all been shown to stand the test of time and can be altered to suit your needs.
This is probably the most popular style of kitchen in the UK. Modern kitchens are built to be practical and functional, not to mention designed to be stunning.
- Most appliances are integrated into the furniture which allows the kitchen to seamlessly blend its usability from a kitchen workspace to a space to host guests.
- Modern style kitchens can come in a variety of finishes including matt, slab, gloss or wood-effect doors with discreet handles to simple but stunning elegant painted wooden shaker style doors.
- The most popular finishes in a modern kitchen are cream painted shaker doors and gloss cream or white slab doors.
Whether you’re looking for a minimalist and streamline design, or prefer an unconventional look that will impress your guests, you’ll be able to find something to suit your tastes. Some of the most popular styles of modern kitchen include the Nuovo, the Remo and the Porter.
- The Nuovo range is built to provide you with a modern design that will never go out of fashion.
- The Remo range fits seamlessly into your home and comes with integrated handles which are a popular feature in modern kitchens.
- The Porter range has a simple design which is perfect for contemporary style homes. It comes in a variety of colours and finishes.
Like most modern kitchens, contemporary kitchens are focused around the handle-less kitchen design. This style of kitchen has become extremely popular over the past few years. Contemporary kitchens are usually minimal in design and include:
- Sleek, low-profile worktops.
- Appliances hidden behind doors.
- A very small palette of materials and colours.
- Stylish accessories such as taps.
- Clad doors; including concrete, glass, contemporary wood veneers and stone veneers.
- Adherence to uniform, straight lines. This one is particularly important in contemporary kitchens.
Contemporary kitchens are a brilliant way of combining natural tones, streamlined surfaces and the most up to date appliances that blend the traditional and modern with outstanding style. Some of the most popular contemporary kitchens include the Broadoak, the Lichfield, the Mornington, the Ellerton and the Fitzroy. These amazing kitchens combine personality, practicality and your personal preferences to make a kitchen that is perfect for you and your home.
Things You Need to Consider
Firstly, you need to think about the style of kitchen that is right for your home:
- A traditional kitchen may not look right in a contemporary style home, for example.
- A house that is full of traditional details might look best with a traditional style kitchen. Other styles of kitchen would need to be planned carefully in order to fit in.
Secondly, you need to consider your style:
- Contemporary style kitchens need to be kept clutter-free in order to look their best.
- Contemporary kitchens can be unforgiving. You need to take time to choose the right colours, materials and textures to compliment the room.
Lastly, you need to think about yourself:
- Modern kitchens are perfect for practical people who like to have a lot on display.
- Modern kitchens are a mix of contemporary and traditional style kitchens, so if you’re installing a kitchen to sell your property, this might be the best choice.
There are a variety of different styles of kitchen that can all be altered to suit your tastes and meet your needs. Whilst this gives you a variety of options to choose from, it can be daunting when you’re spending so much money on achieving your dream kitchen. Make sure you do your research before making any decisions, or contact the team at d2f to get expert advice on what works for you and your home!